Thursday, June 18, 2009

6-17-09: Lake Nasworthy

I had the chance to head on out with Wendel Ramsey on Nasworthy so of course I jumped at it.

After helping a lady and her son load up their new boat, we went over to the reeds just south of the dam. Wind was blowing pretty steadily at 15 mph and the water was pretty stained. Water was about 86 degrees. Temperature was hot, but with the wind the 96 degrees wasn't too bad.

We fished the area for a good bit with neither getting a strike so we went over to the skiing lanes to try our luck. Both of us were using creature baits; me with a 4" ringworm and then a 6" pumpkin with chartreuse tail Yum Dinger and Wendel using a black with blue fleck Ultra Vibe Crawfish and again no luck although he did manage to get a bite. Wendel then thought it might be getting late enough in the day to go back to our first spot as the wind had been laying down a bit and maybe work our way to a lilly pad area he knew about.

We did with no luck until we worked our way to the pads. From there, we both tied on Ribbits and worked the area over pretty good. I managed a cast and saw a disturbance about 5' from my bait. I got excited. I jiggled my Ribbit a little and a big commotion in the pads was now 2' away. I got REALLY excited. I barely wiggled the ribbit when SWOOSH a black movement jumped my bait. I thought I had a good 'un for sure when Wendel said, "Frog". I was thinking, "Yep, I'm fishing a frog" when I realized what he meant. It was indeed a big, ol' bullfrog. I laughed myself silly reeling it in. It had hooked itself good, but we got it back out into the water.

The visiting was great, but neither of us caught anything. We got skunked, but it was still a great day on the lake.

Take care and remember, "Cast straight, cast often, and keep your wake small for the guys in plastic boats."

1 comment:

PaulAnn Bassman said...

Jay,
I am enjoying your video and blog.
Hope you are doing well.
See you later!
Jeff