Saturday, January 2, 2010

Concho River: January 1, 2010 (I hope this is a good omen on the upcoming year!)

Wow! Wendell said it already, but .... WOW!

This day had great weather, friendly faces, and some big fish to include a personal best! It's always a great learning experience for me as my partner put me to the test on a quality experience.

Wendell and I took the plastic yacht up the Concho. We were tossing creature baits and he lost a couple of quality fish on the first set of bluffs. On our way up the river, we saw a few friendly faces from the Paul Ann Bass Club: Jesse and Travis Lucas as well as Scott Miner. Scott caught a nice fish.


We headed on up where the above mentioned yo-yos just left and started fishing. We cast at some rocks in the channel for a bit when I saw Wendell tying on a big crank bait. I thought he was nuts. Within a couple of casts he caught 2 fish to include this one.

Please note the Bass' Revenge on the camera.

For reasons which will hopefully become apparent soon, I cannot post all the fish that Wendell caught. Just note that I believe him to be a bass magnet. It seems that whatever he ties on almost calls to the green monsters. He claims that isn't so, but I have to wonder and the camera doesn't lie. If the fish get much bigger, I'll have to quote Brody from Jaws, "You're going to need a bigger boat" as my plastic piddler might start to look like a top-water.

After a bit, I got into the action with this one.

Dig the rubber boots?

This was my second catch of the day. Wanna see my first?

Now, THAT'S the way to start the new year! The funny thing is that this wasn't even the big fish of the day (although it was up there). It was; however, my biggest kick fishing-wise of the new year! Man, I gotta check that scale!

We had an unexpectedly great day. The winter has been good to us and I am appreciative of the relaxation and thrill bass fishing gives me. I know you share similar beliefs.

I want to post this last fish Wendell caught just because of how unusual the circumstances were regarding it. It is good for a few laughs.

Thanks for logging on and checking out the blog. Big shout out to Wendell Ramsey for taking time to take me out and show me a few things. He is an incredible fisherman. I hope to continue to bring you great info on the best west Texas fishing has to offer. I also hope to continue to bring in some great writing and writers from the area. This experience has definitely been worth while.

Remember, "Cast straight, cast often, and be kind to the guys in the plastic boats!"

*PS: For the record, Jesse Lucas was finally nice to the guys in the plastic boat! ;-P

*PSS: I'm still tinkering with format and some feedback would be appreciated. Do you like the above text-with-video-component format as opposed to the webisode format? Let me know!

3 comments:

PaulAnn Bassman said...

Wow Jay, looks like you guys had a heck of a day. Congrats!!! I can't wait till monday night to see what you end up with.
Take care!
Jeff

Rob said...

Jay, I like to format of the blog with the videos in between the text. I enjoyed the meeting Monday night and I can't wait to fish this upcoming season. Take care
Rob

Bob Whitt said...

Jay;
Great blog.Very nice fish also.I remember that day;was'nt like 24 degrees?
Brownwood is producing good numbers of whites,hybrids around the dam,trooling LARGE sliver dd22s.Call me,let's go catch some.
Bob Whitt
bwhitt@zipnet.us