Sunday, December 7, 2008

Spring Creek/Twin Buttes 12-7-08

Well, the wind was making things "interesting" today. I had a little time to myself so I thought I would go investigate a way for a guy in a plastic boat to get to Spring Creek. I found one. All I can say is Google Earth and a Garmin GPSr are a beautiful thing. I was able to find a reasonable route that, though narrow at times, worked pretty well and took me to the part of Spring Creek where it is very shallow and rocky. Pretty cool! Now that I know where to go and how to get there, I plan to explore it better between now and during the Christmas break.

I got out there at about 4:15 PM and for grins and giggles threw a black worm with a black glass bead rigged Texas style for a few casts. I didn't expect anything. Imagine my surprise when I felt a tug. I was figuring it was the current. Since I was all alone and didn't have to worry about embarassing myself, I set the hook. I actually caught a fish that was about 10 inches. I still get excited about catching any bass, even when the bass is just barely bigger than my lurers.

Still not completely comfortable with my route, I headed out and timed it at about 12 minutes to get out. I'm confident I can find my way back in and out of there in the dark. I'm looking forward to exploring further.

I headed over to the old boat dock on Twin Buttes and tossed the worm around. Caught another fish on my second cast that was about 12 inches. That's a pretty neat area.

Weather has been difficult as of late, but it can't last forever. There is always next week.

Hope to see you on the water!

No comments: