Saturday, May 16, 2009

5-16-09 Twin Buttes

Interesting day!
Thanks to one of my fishing club buddies, Scott Minor, I had access to a boat and got out on the water! What a blast!

I dragged Paw-N-Law out onto the lake and logged the points. The water was about 74.5 degrees and pretty stained. Wind was high; probably 30 mph at 7:30. We were on a 14'er and did pretty well on the waves. After about 45 minutes of practicing our Kung-Fu balance exercises with multiple strikes, we decided to call it quites. He had caught a decent little striper and I lost a decent one on the flats.

We were going to limp on in and call it a day, but we thought we had found a place where the wind had layed down across from the boat ramp. We had already considered it a good day, but what would have made it great is to hook John up on a good fish.


He found it!











This 2.5 pounder gave him a good run for his money and was a blast for me to watch.

We wrapped it up a little bit later and it was pretty hairy! For my first time piloting a bigger boat with a real motor, we managed.


Many thanks to John for putting up with my shenanigans.

For the record, I didn't get skunked! :-D


BTW, below is a pic of a future fishing jerk! My nephew, Baxter!




Is he adorable or what!





He caught this on a minnow. The story goes that John was looking on the blog with Baxter and Baxter was getting a kick on John clicking on the FJ gallery where guys are proclaiming being fishing jerks. Bax loved it.


When Bax's parents took him fishing, Baxter cast, set the hook and reeled in the 1/4 -pound monster all by himself. His mother heard Baxter calling himself a jerk. She was like, "You're not a jerk." She immediatly called John and asked him what he had taught him. John liked to have fell out laughting so hard. As you can imagine, Baxter was saying, "I'm a fishing jerk! I'm a fishing jerk!"


On another side note, Garath Fulks sent me this picture of his personal best. 8.8! What a beaute!



Great picture taken by his grandfather!

If all works out, we will have the next webisode from Oak Creek tomorrow.

Take care, all, and remember, "Cast straight, cast often, and keep your wake small for the guys in the plastic boats!"

No comments: