Friday, March 27, 2009

3-25-09 Twin Buttes

Went fishing Wednesday afternoon after all the rain had fallen. Wendell Ramsey wanted to see if I was indeed a charm and not a jinx. As is typical, results were mixed.



Weather was pretty warm and water was mid to low 60's and pretty stained. We fished a flat that historically was a spawning ground and Wendel caught a nice high 3 to low 4 pounder. That was fun to watch! I noted that he has a very different way to pitch and flip that is much harder than it looks.



We went up the Middle Concho for a bit and ran into the Dormans. Mike said he caught a 5.5 pounder and that the fish broke his carrot stick. It didn't matter as Mike pulled in the line to make the catch.



That's an expensive fish!



I'm trying to develop a thing called a "Called Shot". This is where the fisherman says that he is pretty sure there is a fish here and that it is worth me trying to record the cast and catch with my camera. This is not an easy feat for wither the fisherman or the camera dude; me. Some might think it is boring, but it is really fun. Below is Wendell's called shot.



Although not a bad fish, he wanted to give it another shot.



Much more what he had in mind. I know I couldn't have done it! Even his casting is hard for a guy like me to pull off. He curves a pitch like some scene out of "Wanted".

We went to the flats over by the old boat dock and did pretty well. All in all we caught a lot of small fish on creature baits. It was a fun and I consider it a success. The fish are biting and Wendell said he expects that it will stay good until the next full moon.

I think this is something that really separates fishermen like Wendell from guys like me. It is one thing to watch Bass Masters on TV, but to see these guys do what they do, the actual process, in catching fish is something one cannot take for granted. It just illustrates how far I have to go before I can ever approach this level. It gives me a new appreciation for what I see in some of the better fishermen I know.


Thanks for reading and remember, "Cast straight, cast often, and keep your wake small for the guys in the plastic boats."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats something me grandpa and I do alot..call the fish we are going to catch. We even call trees where we think fish may be. Sometimes we catch 'em, but most times we don't.

A good thing to try for that may be a hat camera.