Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Twin Buttes 3-10-09

WOW! I got a surprise invite from this guy.






San Angelo's own and Standard Times Outdoor Columnist, Wendell Ramsey! What a privilege for anyone and an honor I do not take lightly. I had a blast getting my behind whooped by this guy!




Heading out, Wendell confessed that he felt the pressure to put me on the fish. I had to assure him that there was no pressure as I was use to not catching fish. We had a laugh and this lightened things up.




Wendell took me to a spot that I could never find again if my life depended on it. It just looked out in the middle of nowhere. Weather was nice; overcast with a slight breeze. Water was 61 degrees and we both agreed that it would be great fishing weather.




Wendell was fishing a shallow running crank bait and I started with a swim bait. I threw it a time or two and decided to change to my confidence bait, a baby bass Bomber Fat A. I knew this would pay off as I noted that Wendell caught 3 in the time it took me to tie on my crank bait. I tried to record him catching this 3+ pounder, but being the bright guy that I am I predictably could not find the right button in time.

In all honesty, Wendel did this for quite a while. He caught 6+ in the first 30 minutes we were there.


I finally tied on and started casting. I caught a few trees, but managed to work my way off without embarrassing myself too much. Wendell said there were big ones here, but I was pretty busy watching what he was doing.

Then it hit.




This 5.9 is by biggest fish. I was sure I had caught a bark bass as Wendell and I got into a discussion as to whether it was a fish or not. I was wrong. I almost freaked out when I saw the fish. It took some time, but we got it. I could get use to that.

We fished a lot of spots and caught more fish than I could count. I just appreciated the chance to learn from one that truly has spent a lot of time learning his craft.

Thanks, Wendell!

Thanks for reading this and remember, "Cast straight, cast often, and keep your wake small for the guys in the plastic boats."

No comments: